- Tuesday, May 14th, 7-8:30pm, Caregiver Support Group. Topic: "Taking Care of the Caregiver." Open discussion to follow. Adult Day Center of Westerly, 5 Union Street, Westerly RI, 02891. Facilitator: Jennifer Ray, Director of Social Services. 401-596-1336. All meetings are free and open to the public!
Share The Care.
Welcome to Adult Day Center of Westerly! We are a nonprofit 501(c) 3 organization which was founded in June 1980. Operations began at Dunns Corners Presbyterian Church with two “homes” in between its original roots and our present home at 5 Union Street. Throughout our history we remain committed to our mission of “keeping families together” by offering adult day services for elders wishing to remain in the community. Our Center provides a safe, supportive environment for frail or functionally impaired older adults who may otherwise not be able to be left safely at home alone. Additionally, we provide support, respite and education to caregivers (including education on Alzheimer’s care and/or related dementias). We serve families from the Southeastern Connecticut area which include but are not limited to: Stonington, North Stonington, Pawcatuck, Mystic, Groton, Gales Ferry and Noank. Adult Day Center of Westerly serves families from Rhode Island that include but are not limited to: Westerly, Charlestown, Richmond, Hopkinton, Hope Valley, Ashaway, Bradford, Exeter, Wyoming, Carolina, Narragansett, Wakefield and West Kingston.
Adult Day Center of Westerly is a member of the Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Chamber of Commerce and the Mystic Chamber of Commerce. We are licensed by both the Rhode Island Department of Health and Connecticut Department of Social Services.
Adult Day Center of Westerly is committed to serving older adults who are functionally, emotionally and/or cognitively impaired thereby enabling them to remain in the community, connected to family and friends. We are further dedicated to providing support and respite for caregivers.
Program Philosophy & Purpose
Adult Day Center of Westerly is dedicated to providing a service, which enables elders to remain in the community, for as long as feasible. The purpose of Adult Day Center of Westerly shall be:
- To provide daytime care for adults who are functionally, emotionally, and/or cognitively impaired (including Alzheimer’s Disease, or related dementia, Parkinson’s Disease, Stroke, Heart Disease, Macular Degeneration/Blindness or other age-related dementia)
- To provide respite for families caring for impaired adults.
- To provide family support and supportive counseling to families with adult persons in their care.
- To provide referrals to community resources such agencies and educational resources for caregivers including agencies offering caregiver support for in home care management of their loved one (including Alzheimer’s /dementia care).
- To provide a center where students may receive training in working with impaired adults.
- To delay premature institutionalization.